The Landmark Outdoor Educator Semester is a combined course experience taught May-June each year for rising professionals in the outdoor education and recreation fields. This combination of nationally recognized certification trainings offers students an opportunity to make themselves marketable in the outdoor community, building a resume founded in national standards. Training does not substitute for experience, however training helps folks gain the work that furthers their outdoor professional career. The LOE Semester is available for up to 15 hours of college credit ($55/credit hour) through Western Carolina University.
Rising professionals in the outdoor recreation industry, college students in their gap year, individuals at a career-choice crossroad, military personnel transitioning to civilian working life and desiring a recreation career pursuit.
- Proof of age 18 years or older
- Education: HS Diploma or equivalent
- Vaccination record: Polio ,MMR, DT/DPT, Hep B (only 1st shot required) ,TB/PPD w/in 6 months of course start
- No felony convictions and a clean driving record
- Background check completed – receipt emailed to Landmark Learning
- Minimum of 3 weeks backcountry living experience
- Able to swim 100 meters
- Able to hike and carry personal equipment 2 miles
- Previous tandem canoe experience
- Previous teaching experience preferred
- Letter of recommendation from current Academic Advisor or Department Head
Certifications, certificates of completion, and testing eligibility shall be awarded for each Semester segment, see each course overview page for specifics.
Accredited by ACCET, a nationally recognized accrediting body for the US Department of Education, Landmark Learning assigns continuing education units (CEUs) for each Semester segment. Transcripts can be sent to your school for consideration of acceptance by your Registrar.
The Landmark Semester is eligible for your choice of up to 15 hours of college credit from Western Carolina University, right here in Cullowhee, NC. A SACS-accredited university, WCU will be able to offer transfer of your credits to your current or future school.
- Students should expect to apply at WCU, pay a $65 one-time application fee, and enroll for the credits at least four (4) days prior to the course start date. The course is offered $55 per credit hour.
- Go to: WCU Educational Outreach to apply and pay online.
- Landmark Learning will provide final grades to WCU within 5 days of the Semester completion, and transfer will be available to students after that according to WCU's calendar schedule.
- To initiate your enrollment, alert the LL office when you register regarding your intention to gain college credit for the experience.
- NOLS WEMT Emergency Medical Technician (217 contact hours) (NCOEMS EMT Intensive + NOLS Wilderness Upgrade for Medical Professionals)
- American Safety & Health Institute Basic Life Support (8 contact hours)
- Leave No Trace Master Educator (40 contact hours)
- American Canoe Association L4: Swiftwater Rescue (16 contact hours)
- Starfish Aquatics Institute Wilderness Lifeguard (16 contact hours)
- American Canoe Association L2: Canoe Instructor (24 contact hours)
- American Safety & Health Institute Basic First Aid and CPR Instructor (8 hours)
- Fox Mountain Guides' Introduction to Single-Pitch Climbing (16 hours)
- Orientation, Educator Workshop, and Graduation Seminars (16 hours)
- All academic expenses for: 6 weeks/345 hours
- Eligibility for college credit up to 15 hours with Western Carolina University - or refer to your department head or registrar
- 7 Nationally recognized certifications of which 3 are Instructor level certifications
- Experience Journal
- Exit Interviews
- Instructor Development Letter
- Instructor Reference Letter
- Landmark Outdoor Educator Semester Graduate listing at Landmark Learning Web presence
The semester is a combination of our elite training programs. Appropriate and required forms and informational pieces are listed below - be sure to bookmark the registration page to review gear lists and prerequisite information.
* indicates forms or information that must be returned prior to the start of the semester.
- Directions to Landmark
- LL Health form (one for entire semester)*
- LL Release form (one for entire semester)*
- 2 ACA Releases (1xSWR, 1xCanoe Instructor)*
- SWR Expectations and Gear List
- Canoe Instructor Expectations and Gear List
- EMT Expectations and Gear List
- NOLS WUMP Expectations and Gear List
- NOLS Release*
- SAI WLG Expectations and Gear List
- LNT ME Expectations and Gear List
- LNT Release*
- Childhood vaccination record (see EMT expectations)*
- HS Diploma/GED/equivalent (see EMT expectations)*
- Proof of age*
- Background Check
- Clinical Orientation
Additional Expenses - not covered by course fees paid to Landmark:
- ACA Membership - all Instructors and instructor candidates for American Canoe Association Instructor level courses must be a member in good standing. ACA membership fee is $45 at the time of this posting.
- ACA SEIC Dues - Upon successful completion and award of Instructor certification, all instructors must pay dues of $25 to ACA. Upon membership renewal, the SEIC fees will be included.
- EMT - any fees related to accessing HS diploma, transcripts showing HS graduation daemtte, GED documents, et.
- EMT - If students elect to participate in the optional clinical opportunities, they are required to submit for a background check (must be submitted through Intellenet for our hospital systems to identify your records. We will never see the results, they are for hospital system use only. Currently, Intellenet charges $24.50).
- EMT - If students elect to participate in the optional clinical opportunities, they are required to provide a 10-panel drug screen. Testcountry.com is recommended.
- Clinical Kit - Optional. $25 Includes stethoscope, BP cuff, and penlight.